Behold the rarest of sports media species: People who affect change of the sport(s) they report on:
1) Mike Florio: NFL, ProFootballTalk.com: Well-connected, hardest working man in most popular pro sport. Wait ’til NBC-Comcast sports channel hits.
2) Jay Glazer: NFL, FOXSports.com: If he was on the beat year-round, would be #1. More connected - and respected - than any reporter in any sport.
3) Buster Olney: MLB, ESPN.com: Impeccable journalist with underrated wit. ESPN’s best reporter.
4) Peter King: NFL, SI.com: Has great information, unparalleled work ethic and keeps his content fun and relatable to readers.
5) Adam Schefter: NFL, ESPN.com: See Olney for professionalism. Overexposure by ESPN does him a disservice. Being on every day during the season forces him to manufacture stories that sometimes aren’t there. Also a little too agenda-driven (front office-friendly) with his analysis. Wish ESPN would allow him to pick his spots.